I had been having a bag of red juicy apples in my kitchen, staring at me innocently the entire week. Problem was, I had no clue on what to do with them, because I don’t enjoy eating apples. But I had to use them up before they rotted away.
For a while I had been planning to make honey mustard marinated paneer tikka’s – something which I had tasted in Khyber, (Mumbai) a couple of months ago, and have been wanting to replicate ever since.
But everytime I planned to make it, some or the ingredient would be missing. Today, for example, I had an unopened bottle of honey mustard, but no paneer. And I did not have enough milk to make it from scratch.
Determined to still use the honey mustard today, I thought of giving a shot at making an apple and mustard marinade, replacing paneer with tofu. At first I was skeptical – would the apple flavours come through, in the midst of the pungency of mustard? And would the marinade become too sweet, with honey and apple as the core ingredients?
My doubts were put to rest when I hesitantly tasted the marinade – sweet, tart and mildly pungent at the same time, with all the flavours well blended and distinct in its own way. It was kind of addictive; I kept dipping my spoon into it for small sips!
And once marinated and grilled, the tofu was adequately crisp and had soaked in the flavours equally well. It was basically an afternoon well spent, and worth experimenting.
Maybe next time I make it, I’ll marinate paneer instead.
- Tofu – 1 block, sliced into squares of medium-thin thickness (as desired), wrapped in tissue to absorb excess water
- Red apple – 1 medium (sweet and juicy), peeled and roughly chopped
- Honey mustard – 1 tbsp
- Vinegar – 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 2 cloves, crushed
- Black pepper powder – 1-2 tbsp
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp, extra virgin
- Green onions – 1, thinly sliced (optional)
First prepare your tofu:
- Heat a lightly greased non-stick grill and place the tofu squares to remove the excess water. Flip the side every 2 minutes, until both sides are evenly golden brown
- Keep the tofu aside on an absorbing paper to drain any excess grease
Next the marinade:
- Blitz apple to a smooth puree and strain it into a bowl
- Add all other ingredients for the marinade to the juice and whisk well
- Let the marinade rest for 5 minutes before adding the tofu squares
- Cover the bowl with a saran wrap and refrigerate for 4-5 hours
And finally, grilling and plating:
- Just before serving, heat a lightly greased non-stick grill again and place the tofu squares
- As the tofu sizzles, add about 1/2 tsp marinate on top of each square
- Flip over the squares and add 1/2 tsp marinade on top of the square again
- Repeat process once or twice more, till both sides are crispy golden brown
- Heat the remaining marinade in a pan till it bubbles and slightly thickens; pour this into a small serving jug
- Stack the tofu squares onto a plate and garnish with green onions
- Serve with the marinade – pour the marinade over the tofu before digging in