A simple to make and delightful to consume [Spanish/Mexican] cinnamon rice milk. Robust with flavour yet not overbearingly heavy on the stomach, this recipe is a keeper.
Got to plan yet another weekend house party and stumped for new ideas? Well, Horchata is just the answer you were looking for!
[Recipe adapted from: Amber – Dessert now, dinner later]
- Long grain white rice: 1/2 cup, rinsed
- Cinnamon: 1 stick and 1/2 tsp powdered
- Water: 2 cups
- Milk: 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar: 1/4 cup
- Vanilla extract: 1 tsp
- Ice cubes: Optional
- Soak and refrigerate the rice and cinnamon stick in water overnight
- Discard the cinnamon stick and blitz rice and water mixture along with powdered cinnamon for 2-3 minutes
- Sieve the slurry at least 4 to 5 times to remove the rice grits
- Do not taste the mixture at this point: it is very unappetizing!
- Add milk, vanilla extract and sugar to the strained solution and mix well
- Add more sugar, as per your preference
- Sieve the solution again
- Pour into glasses, garnish with a small sprinkle of cinnamon powder on top and serve chilled with ice